PRAY FOR OPEN DOORS
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word… — Colossians 4:2–3a (ESV)
Open doors can’t be taken for granted. Many missionaries work in countries that are difficult to access or in areas that are resistant to the gospel. But open doors include more than just access to nations and people groups. Individuals’ hearts also need to be open and receptive to God’s truth.
- That God will open doors of ministry, blessing partnerships and friendships.
- That those who serve will be led by the Holy Spirit and recognize open-door opportunities.
- That God will lead his people past barriers to hearts ready to receive his Word.
PRAY FOR BOLDNESS
[Pray] also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel… — Ephesians 6:19 (ESV)
Missionaries are regular people who fear pain and rejection as much as anyone else. When faced with opposition, they need God’s strength to help them stand firm.
- That the Holy Spirit will provide missionaries with words that communicate effectively in other cultures and languages.
- That they will have boldness to overcome the fear of embarrassment or failure.
- Against evil forces that would seek to hinder the spread of the gospel.
PRAY THAT GOD’S WORD WILL SPREAD
Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you… — 2 Thessalonians 3:1 (ESV)
Obstacles must be removed to allow God’s Word to spread rapidly and freely, and missionaries need the strength to continue on in the face of opposition or difficulties. Just as Aaron and Hur supported Moses’ arms in the battle against the Amalekites (Exodus 17:12), you can strengthen the arms of missionaries by supporting them through your prayers.
- For strength and stamina as missionaries encounter antagonistic spiritual forces (Ephesians 6:10–18).
- That people will resist Satan’s plans to obstruct the spread of the gospel (James 4:7).
- That God’s Word will indeed spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes.
PRAY FOR PROTECTION
[Pray] that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men. For not all have faith. — 2 Thessalonians 3:2 (ESV)
In some countries, missionaries may be exposed to the possibility of danger and personal harm. Opposition to the gospel may include hatred and violence.
- That God will keep missionaries safe.
- That God will change the hearts of those who are resistant to his Word.
*This excerpt from https://www.wycliffe.org/prayer/how-to-pray-for-missionaries