SCRIPTURE TO READ
In you, O Lord, do I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
in your righteousness deliver me!
2 Incline your ear to me;
rescue me speedily!
Be a rock of refuge for me,
a strong fortress to save me!
3 For you are my rock and my fortress;
and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me;
4 you take me out of the net they have hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.
5 Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.
CHILDREN’S BIBLE READINGS (OPTIONAL)
- Big Picture Story Bible (pages 375-381)
- The Beginner’s Gospel Story Bible (pages 254-255)
- Jesus Storybook Bible (pages 308)
- The Gospel Story Bible (pages 232-233)
APPLICATION: LOOK FORWARD
On Saturday, Jesus was silent, so take time to be silent in prayer today. Think about where your hope is found. And prepare your heart for the joy we will celebrate tomorrow.
Then, join together in praying for our in-person and online Easter services, and pray for all the churches in the Bay Area – that our neighbors and friends who are looking for real hope will find it in the empty tomb of Jesus.
Lord, thank you that Saturday is not where this story ends. We pray for the work of the global church and for the churches in our area, that you would bring people through the physical and digital doors tomorrow and beyond with listening ears and open hearts. Stir our hearts to invite our friends, family, and neighbors, and give them the courage to join us. And as we attend services ourselves, remind us again of your love, your forgiveness, and the hope we have in you.
OPTIONAL FAMILY DISCUSSION GUIDE
- Why were the disciples sad? (Their friend had died.)
- Why were they hiding? (They were scared and confused about what was going to happen next.)
- Draw a picture of the tomb. While you are drawing, quietly think about the sadness that the disciples felt when Jesus died, and the joy they would have the next day knowing that Jesus is alive.